Attitude

Home Forums Potpourri Attitude

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  S1964 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

AdminCSEC
    Keymaster

Lately i am gathering a feeling that Indians by and large, have developed a careless attitude towards development around the, unless they affect them seriously! We most often care two hoots for the inconvenience we are causing to others. Say for example parking vehicles. I often witness people parking their car in the middle of a street, causing almost a traffic jam. I see people parking, or get their cars parked, right opposite the shop they are visiting, so that they do not have to walk, a hundred meters or so, from their parked vehicles to the shop. I pin pointed the problem to the developing social attitudes among the middle class people belonging to rather posh cities like Delhi.I therefore did some research and found a useful article on social attitude. Here’s a bit from it:

E.B. Reuter wrote:
    Whatever the nature of the social values�the content of the culture complex�the members of the group are responsive to them. The values are objects of human desire. This appreciation of the social value is an attitude. If it is general in the group, as a result of communication, it is a social attitude. It is, indeed, as a result of this human responsive reaction that any object becomes a value. The attitude may be one of desire or one of aversion but in no case may it be one of indifference else the object drops out of the culture of the group and ceases to be a value. The attitude is thus the subjective element in the culture; complex, the individual counterpart of the social value. It is the individual tendency to react, either positively or negatively, to a given social value.

Certain of the human behavior tendencies appear to be natural in the sense that they are the expression of general human need or the sublimate of racial experience. They correspond to something stable and uniform in the physical conditions of life. Some fear responses, for example, appear to be of this nature. Certain disgusts appear to be of the nature of organic attitudes, and a limited number of other behavior tendencies appear to have their origin in the complex of heritable characters. These, as a result of experience, tend to become defined into social attitudes. Attitudes of this type may be general in the group without being social. They are of concern in the study of the individual but interest the sociologist only in so far as they are culturally conditioned or result in behavior of cultural significance. For example, disgust as an organic attitude is not of direct interest to the student of social behavior. It comes within the orbit of his interest to the extent that it is an element of importance in determining attitudes that are social. The attitude of society toward women is a social attitude. But the peculiar nature of this attitude, in at least some of its historic expressions, appears not to be susceptible of explanation without the aid of the natural organic disgust reaction toward things unclean. Again, racial prejudice is a cultural attitude and, in the main, to be explained in historic and cultural terms. But if, and to the extent that, the characteristic body odor of one race is offensive to persons of a different race and arouses a disgust reaction, the natural attitude becomes a thing of social significance and of interest to the sociologist since it is then a vital element in the determination of social behavior……more

hallenrm
    Participant

The dominant attitude of the present student population also disturbs me often. The attitude is to get as much with as little effort. Although they are much more Internet enabled, they would spend their energy and time on websites like Facebook where they can really get away with almost mindless/effortless activity. They are just interested in putting as many flagpoles on various forum websites, like Vimarsh and forget about it in no time.

Teachers are no different!

It reflects their feeling of alienation and disenchantment with the society at large. All the present generation wants is to enjoy comforts that come easy and put in effort only to get more as cheaply as possible. And when not successful feel frustrated

S1964
    Participant

I totally agree with you. In fact, today only I was having a discussion with some publishing company who wants to involve teachers for preparing e-content and e-books, for which they want to hold a workshop.

And the outcome of the discussion was….. teachers will definitely come to attend the workshop but not for working in that direction but for getting a certificate and may be some free books from the publishers (Not all…. some really want to work also). What I mean to say is that there is an attitude problem definitely. How many members of Vimarsh are actually participating in the discussions or even visiting the site?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.