Pattern Recognition

Home Forums Potpourri Pattern Recognition

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  hallenrm 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

AdminCSEC
    Keymaster

It is a very useful skill! For a university student it can help solve new kind of problems using patterns learned elsewhere. We all use this skill, perhaps less often then we use our memory when writing for an examination.

I realised this fact, when i started playing a computer game called Mahajong on my PC (it has Ubuntu as its OS). The game is as follows:

Playing Mahjongg

You start with five levels of tiles which are stacked so some are covered up by the tiles on top. The harder the level you set in the Preferences dialog, the more tiles are covered when the game starts.
    The object of Mahjongg is to remove all the tiles from the game. To remove tiles you have to find matching pairs which look alike. A matching tile will usually have the same number of buttons or markings on it or will look similar to each other.
    As an example, the highlighted tile, in the figure below, has six buttons. The matching tile is the one which
    also has six buttons. The tile is on the right-hand end of the third row from the bottom and there is another near the top of the fourth row from the bottom. If you want to match the tile on the top level, you need to look for the tile with the same green bamboo symbols. Do you see a matching tile yet?
    There are three tiles, which are visible, that match the tile on the top level. Two are to the left and the lower right. The third one is on the top row, but you can’t remove that tile yet because the tile isn’t on the outside of the stack of tiles.

Mahjongg is played by clicking on two matching tiles that are then removed. Play continues until all the tiles are removed or there are no available pairs.
    Only tiles at the far left and right edges on each level can be selected. This is because you can’t remove any tiles which aren’t at the far left and far right sides. If the tiles are on different level and at the left or right sides, those can be removed when you find another matching tile.

As is evident from the picture, the tiles have some totally unfamiliar characters on them, one can’t even associate them with a word easily. Just as in the case of complex equations and concepts used in different fields of science!

So, it is not very easy to play even the easy game!! It took me more then half an hour to complete the first game I played. But with persistent practice, i can now complete within ten minutes. Quite an accomplishment at my age I think it is a good mental exercise and believe students can benefit a lot if they play it for sometime!!!

vimarsh
    Participant

Interesting indeed! Let me also quote a bit of interesting bits from the article on pattern in wikipedia

Quote:
    ……Pattern recognition is more complex when templates are used to generate variants. For example, in English, sentences often follow the “N-VP” (noun – verb phrase) pattern, but some knowledge of the English language is required to detect the pattern. Computer science, ethology, and psychology are fields which study patterns.

R. Buckminster Fuller wrote:
    “A pattern has an integrity independent of the medium by virtue of which you have received the information that it exists. Each of the chemical elements is a pattern integrity. Each individual is a pattern integrity. The pattern integrity of the human individual is evolutionary and not static.”

………………………..
    Mathematics is commonly described as the “Science of Pattern.” Any sequence of numbers that may be modeled by a mathematical function is considered a pattern.

In Pattern theory, mathematicians attempt to describe the world in terms of patterns. The goal is to lay out the world in a more computationally friendly manner.

Patterns are common in many areas of mathematics. Recurring decimals are one example. These are repeating sequences of digits which repeat infinitely. For example, 1 divided by 81 will result in the answer 0.012345679… the numbers 0-9 (except Cool will repeat forever � 1/81 is a recurring decimal.

Fractals are mathematical patterns that are scale invariant. This means that the shape of the pattern does not depend on how closely you look at it. Self-similarity is found in fractals. Examples of natural fractals are coast lines and tree shapes, which repeat their shape regardless of what magnification you view at. While the outer appearance of self-similar patterns can be quite complex, the rules needed to describe or produce their formation can be extremely simple (e.g. Lindenmayer systems for the description of tree shapes).

………………..

In geology, a mineral’s crystal structure is composed of a recurring pattern. In fact, this is one of the 5 requirements of a mineral. Minerals must have a fixed chemical composition in a repeating arrangement, such as a crystal matrix. For a 2-dimensional crystal structure, there are 10 different planar lattices possible. Moving up to 3 dimensions, 32 patterns are possible. These are called bravais lattices.

hallenrm
    Participant

Today morning, while browsing through the news in my newspaper, TOI, I was reminded of this thread. I saw a pattern in three news stories:

1. The response of GOI to the terms set by Naxals for talks.
    2. The assertion of the Government of India for resolving the conflict with Pakistan.
    3. The amount of expenditure the US Government is incurring for out-sourcing the protection required for its operations in Afganistan.

The three stories appear on different pages of the newspaper, and one tends to forget what one has read a few minutes before in the previous story, just as i often realize while playing Mahajongg!

But, there is a pattern which i could discern in the three stories

The pattern is centered around the concept of social conflict.

Social conflict is inevitable in the present age. Each constituent of the society wants a bigger slice of the cake for itself and hence demands from the section which has a conflicting interest, something that would reinforce its position, what so ever may be the costs!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.